Sunday, January 13, 2008

Trying New Things

I have been playing and experimenting with Photoshop the last week or so. Having the real software (as opposed to Gimp, the freeware program I was using) has been AMAZING! I'm grateful for the people who provide Gimp, at such a nice affordable price ($0) but Photoshop is just so darn functional, handy, documented, powerful, versatile, you name it. I am in love. My favourite things so far, and these are really simple things: 1. being able to justify text!! I could never get it to work in my version of gimp, it was like some crazy bug that was making me insane. 2. Using Quick mask to mask a selection. That's how I made the part of the photo below that is inside the frame in colour and the rest black and white. It's really two layers or photographs and I just cut the picture one that's on top. Being able to go online and find tutorials or answers to questions is so nice! Because there is this huge community of photoshop users they are so many resources to help you out. I love that so many people ask stupid obvious questions that other people take the time to answer, that's how I figure out how to do things that I should be able to figure out but can't. Bless them. Anyway, it's a wonderful thing, and I guess in this case, you get what you pay for.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justifying text seems like the most basic of options; weird that GIMP didn't have that feature. So happy that you're enjoy Photoshop. And here's to cousins having fun together!

Tricia said...

After seeing what you can do I always get excited to try things out. However I don't have photo shop and would love it. Glad you love it it makes me hopeful to some day have it too.