Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Musings

Tonight at the dinner table one of the topics of conversation was what Jack and Eric wanted to be when they grew up. I believe it started with Jack saying he wanted to be a construction worker. Then Eric said he was going to be a construction worker too, and an astronaut. And then he said that actually he was going to be something he was not going to say and that he was going to change his name too. It was so fuuny, like he was going to grow up, become something we were not allowed to know and he was going to not let us know his new name. I may just start calling him 007 for fun.

Over the last few days I have  been reading this awesome book on how to be creative with children.


The author believes in using creativity to nurture family connections. Many of her ideas are simple yet profound. I have really enjoyed them and will definitely try them out. And they seem doable, not like gather 300 things, or spend a $1000. Actually simplicity is hallmark of many of these ideas. Lately I have been feeling the importance of being more present in the moment, particularly in how I nurture my children and spend time with them. I want to love and laugh more. I want to connect more and I want to enjoy more. I think I get too caught up in the washing and feeding and clothing of these three little people rather than the nurturing. Next year Jack is off to kindergarten for two full days a week and it is dawning on me that it is my last year that I will have him home with me full time for some days. I know I will cheer in some ways, but I am also profoundly sad at the prospect. I believe that part of these strong feelings to improve in this area of my life are the promptings of the Spirit. I know that God will tell us how we can be better and how we can have our best, most fulfilling lives, if we are willing to listen to His promptings, and I think He is strongly whispering that He would have me do better in this area. So every day I am working at being more in tune, more present and more peaceful in my home.

I love this video done by the Church on Stephanie Nelson. I am so inspired by her desire to be a good mother, despite such opposition and hardship. Surely if she can do it, so can I.


As a side note, every once in a while our computer fonts go wonky, until we reboot the computer. So every time I try to type an apostrophe, this is what happens -È
or question mark is É and a slash is é. So, you will notice I have not written with contractions in this post. So if I sounded utterly weird now you know why. :)

2 comments:

Lily said...

That book looks amazing. Good you give me some example ideas? I am so curious what is written in there.

Karly said...

What a wonderful mother you are. You are inspired and inspiring!